Monday, November 29, 2010

The Ashes

As cricket is one of the biggest sports in Australia, I figured it was a must to make it to The Ashes; the worlds biggest cricket match – Australia vs. England. It took place in Brisbane; at the Gabba cricket stadium. It is a 5 day match (wtf!?) and I attended the 4th day. The day started at 10am and finally finished early, at 5pm, due to ‘bad light’ (wtf again). Cricket was slightly more interesting then I was expecting, but still averages at a fun level equal to baseball…
The most exciting part of the day was spending my money away on the $6.60 beers and watching as the drunken, male-dominated crowd got rowdy. Although taking place in Australia, it was clear that the majority of the crowd, or at least the majority of the boisterousness of the crowd, definitely lay in the hands of the English. I actually think most of the crowd in the stands were too drunk to even watch the match by noon, and spend the rest of the day bantering. Of course, the favourite cheer of these Englishmen had absolutely nothing to do with the cricket game, but instead where singing drunken bus tour songs like Yogi Bear, and the store in Chicago! It was hilarious hearing grown men sing songs that I would only bust out if I was on some sort of Krista’s birthday related event. I noted some good ones for the next time…
I’ll leave you with the favourite cheer of the day…sang to every one of the woman in the crowd, should they be ballsy enough to leave their seats for any reason (and if you know the size of my bladder, you can unfortunately assume that throughout the day I was privy to this cheerful invitation more then a few times.)

“Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, get your tits out!”

Don’t worry…I ignored it.

No comments:

Post a Comment