Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Melbourne Cup

One of the first things I’ve noticed about Australians: they LOVE to gamble. There is an abundance of gambling bars and almost every bar has a machine in it where you can gamble, which apparently rakes in tons of money.
So, although yesterday was not a holiday, it was expected that most of Australia would be non-functioning and drunk by 3pm to watch the nation famous Melbourne Cup. Of course, we took part in the Australian tradition; we placed our bets and parked our butts in front of the TV to watch the horse race. It was great! I ended up being really successful In our hostel-wide sweepstakes, I pulled ‘Zavite’ out of a hat. In my actual bet, I bet on ‘Maluckyday’ to place. I got lucky both times!! ‘Zavite came in dead last, which got me some chocolate for my sorrows (aka best win ever!) and for ‘Maluckyday’s’ 2nd place standing, I made myself six bones! Exciting!

1 comment: