Wednesday, December 15, 2010

my vacation from my vacation

It has been so long since I have sent you all some love from down under, and I know you are probably all missing me, so don’t worry… this one is extra long…

In Brisbane, the day after I went to the Ashes, I decided that before I start having too much fun to look for work, I should look for a job. I woke up early in the morning, printed myself 30 resumes and handed them out everywhere: retail stores, cafes, restaurants and travel agencies. What a success it was!! By the next afternoon I had received a call back from 3 places, 2 coffee shops and as a TRAVEL AGENT at a backpacker’s travel agency called Peterpans. So, needless to say, I chose Peterpans. I could not have wished for a better opportunity: I will be training in Brisbane but working in Surfer’s Paradise, and trip packages to backpackers! Pretty much a dream of a job! The training is not going to start until the 20th of December, so Peterpans put me on a trip to Rainbow beach to go for a 3 day camping trip to Fraser Island, all expenses paid for! This is one of the most popular trips that the company sells, so they figured it would be beneficial give me a hands learning experiencing of what I will be selling. Yeah Baby!!

Before heading up to Rainbow beach, I had a few days to waste, so I spend them at the Nomads resort hostel in Noosa Head. Another beautiful place! The hostel had a really nice, tropical pool, which we played in on a rainy day. It had it’s own bar which was a pretty popular place for both backpackers and locals, and it was only a quick walk to the beach, the shops, and a nice national park. PS. I have recently grown accustomed to doing everything barefoot and I absolutely love it! For the past 3 weeks, no matter where I am going, whether it be the 20 min walk to the beach or going grocery shopping, I do it all shoe-free. You all should try it, who knew freedom of the feet could feel so good!

Anyways… I stayed in a fun-filled 16 bed dorm with a group of Australian girls who where taking a vacation from their home in Melbourne, a group of Americans who working for the hostel, an Israeli who I made latkes with for Hannukah. Our door was always open and we all had tons of fun for the 4 days I was there.

Next, I headed up to Rainbow beach: a crappy little town whose sole reason for its existence is due to its proximity to Fraser Island. Although it does have a really beautiful beach, I guess most of Australia’s east coast does, so this place hardly gets much recognition. When I first arrived I was as sick as a dog, so the two nights I spend here I was in bed by 9pm. I couldn’t have planned a better place to get sick because the hostel is really calm as everyone prepares to wake up early for their Fraser Island Adventures.

Finally, Monday morning I woke up at 6 am, sore throat-free (wahoo!) and headed off to Fraser Island. The only means of getting around on this Island is by 4WD and if you were 21 or older and had a license to drive a manual you where able to drive. Of course, my sub-par driving skills prevented me from being able to drive, but I sat in the front most of the time, so it was almost like I was driving and I still felt bad-ass. This Island is the world’s largest sand island. It is a world heritage site, and with reason! It is such a beautiful place. In the three days we where these, we visited 3 fresh water lakes, each which seemed to had magically appeared in the middle of nowhere… like a mirage. One of them, Lake Mackenzie was maybe one of the nicest lakes I had ever seen. The water was so blue and clear! It was amazing. I spend 2 nights and 3 days camping on this Island and it was tons of fun. I was in a group of 10 others, known as group Hawesome. We cooked, cleaned, camped and partied together. It really was an amazing experience.

I am now in Mooloolaba (ya, I know, crazy name!), where there is a torrential downpour and a thunder storm louder then I have ever heard in my life. The metal roof right next door to my hostel got hit by lightening. Eep! It was the loudest and scariest thing ever. I came here in hopes to take up 4 more days of surfing before I head inland to Brisbane to train for my NEW JOB! 

Love and miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. You may try Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net). i know alot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious scratchy throat.

    ReplyDelete