Friday, November 26, 2010

Camp B'nai Byron

After almost three weeks in Newcastle we finally got out. We took a ten hour, overnight bus up the coast to the hippie town of Byron Bay. We arrived, tired and groggy, to the messiest 16 bed room dorm we have ever seen. It felt like I was taking a step back in time to my years at camp living in a cabin with a bunch of messy girls.

Little did we know though, that this week, and for the next 3 weeks, is what is nationally known as ‘Schoolies’. What is schoolies you may ask’? It is spring break for graduating high school students. So, I am partying in Australia’s version of Cancun, with high school students everywhere. As for anyone who isn’t a high school student around here, they are called ‘Toolies”…Guess that’s me!

Despite the decision to come here at a really unfortunate time, I absolutely LOVE Byron Bay. It is a really gorgeous town, filled with coffee shops, great shopping and tons of tourists. There are great paths to run on, a pretty beach to go relax, and a never ending nightlife. The hostel I am staying in, although being fairly mess and small, is TONS of fun. Everyone who comes here stays around for at least a week, if not more, so it is easy to actually get to know everyone. I have been here for over a week now, spending most of my time with a group of 4 Canadians.

Up until now, it has been raining most of the time I have been in Byron, which cuts down on what I can do while I am here…but it still has not cut down on fun. Everyone in Byron Bay seems to be the most fit and beautiful people I have ever seen, which has been so encouraging to keep healthy and fit. It is really a great environment!

Tomorrow, I will be heading 2 hours up he coast to Brisbane with two English blokes who I met here to go watch the Ashes; a 5 day long cricket match Australia vs. England.
…When in Rome!

No comments:

Post a Comment