Friday, November 12, 2010

Housekeeping

It has been almost 2 weeks now that I have been living in the Newcastle YHA hostel and working for free accommodation. The work, although unfavourable, is fairly easy; I spend 2 hours a day cleaning the hostel, from making beds (the easier job) to cleaning bathrooms (not as gross as you would think…but still sucks). Probably my favourite part of the job is that I get to laugh at Mark knocking on people’s doors and say ‘housekeeping’ and actually be serious about it. It never fails to make me giggle.

Considering people usually only spend 2 – 3 days traveling through Newcastle, I am now, in backpacker terms, considered an expert on the hostel and the town. It has been cool to be able to get to know this place a little bit better then the average backpacker and the hostel is a really homey place. I would definitely recommend a Newcastle visit to anyone!

There is also a group of 6 of us who work here together and have gotten to know each other really well; 1 from Sweden, 2 from Germany, 1 from England, Mark and I. the daily break down normally goes down like this: 9:45 wake up, work from 10-12, spend the afternoon on the beach, do some dinner, and get to gooning. It has been a pretty relaxing couple of weeks, but I am looking forward to moving somewhere new and exciting in the near future…

PS. We are EATING Kangaroo for dinner tomorrow… stay tuned for those ‘hop’penings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment